Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Metro's Communications: "Undoing the Good"


From Phil:
Long time reader, first time writer. What the hell is going on with the Orange Line?

On Friday (and Monday), many PM rush trains were ending at West Falls Church. I'm not sure why, but as a Vienna rider, it was more than a little annoying, mostly because NO WORD at all was issued by Metro as to why. I saw a lot of people on the platform cursing Metro as well.

Maybe there's a good reason for doing for the service change, but it wasn't explained to riders at all.

The only thing I could find was this, which sounds like something pretty serious and, frankly, sorta scary. Is this the reason?


Via @whiteout_PSU No service to Dunn Loring on the next train? Come on WMATA @unsuckdcmetro http://pic.twitter.com/tJGS6Jve

Just what exactly are the people in the communications team getting paid for if it's not communicating a pretty significant alteration in the routine such as this?

It made me think of the quote you had from the board member about "perceived unpredictability." This REAL unpredictability is just what makes me want to give up Metro for good.

Oh, and that doesn't even take into account the obvious and UNANNOUNCED speed restrictions that pretty much slow the Orange Line down to a crawl between East Falls Church and Ballston over at least the latter part of last week.

What gives Metro? I gave you every benefit of the doubt as you tried to rebuild, but these little lapses are undoing the good you may or may not be doing during all the shutdowns. The little trust I had left in you is pretty much gone. I know I'm not the only one.
Another Metro mystery from anonymous:
Anyone know why the Red Line was not stopping at Dupont Circle yesterday? By my count three trains full of people went through without even stopping to let people on or off. Why?

I was annoyed enough this making me late to work with no announcements about delays or information on the website or email alerts, but I would have been really mad if I needed to get off at Dupont Circle but was forced to continue on.
Other items:
More construction for H St. trolleys (Examiner)
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter